Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Holy Grail of Under-Eye Correctors


Katie's eyes...before miracle cream
I'm one of those lucky people who naturally look like they haven't slept for days. When I started getting less sleep in college, my dark circles got even baggier. And don't even get me started on allergy season! I've tried almost every reasonably priced technique for making them less noticeable: ice packs and frozen spoons, caffeine eye cream, illuminating concealer, sleeping with my head propped up (ouch), etc etc etc. It all helped a little bit, but not as much as my new under-eye godsend.
Here's how I stumbled upon this little miracle:
Back in April, I was searching online for ways to look less like a zombie for one of my boyfriend's fraternity's formal events. I had a cold and a fever, and needed something really heavy duty to fix my basset hound eyes.
I finally found something I hadn't read before. Makeup artists will use Preparation H (that's right, hemorrhoid cream) on clients' dark circles before applying makeup. The active ingredient in Preparation H constricts capillaries, which decreases inflammation, thus making dark circles and puffiness both decrease. Having studied the active drug in my pharmacology class, I knew it would help, for about 5 bucks, too, so I got really excited to try it!
I went to Target that evening, found my aisle, grabbed my box of generic prep H, started looking for a smaller one, and was quickly spotted by a bored and helpful target employee. Oh joy. "Can I help you find something?" NO! But in my socially awkward head, I thought I could make this situation less embarrassing by asking him if there was a smaller box, because I'm not putting this stuff on my butt. I'm putting it under my eyes! So there's no reason I'd need so. much. hemorrhoid cream. They didn't have a smaller tube, and I didn't have any dignity.
The next morning, I tried it out before class, and it really made a difference! Even my pledge sister / roommate (after she stopped laughing at me and telling all our sisters I had a tube of hemorrhoid cream) said it made my puffy eyes look more awake.

All you need to do is put the cream on your clean skin like you would an eye cream. Use a pea size amount for both eyes, and blend it into the skin with your ring finger. Then, apply your moisturizer and let it soak into your skin before you start on your primer and makeup.
Before adding cream.
Put on your "eye cream." Isn't this a flattering photo?!
5 minutes later
Still there, but big difference, right?
Next, apply your foundation if you're using any, then apply a warm-toned concealer under the eyes and blend with your ring finger. If my eyes look exhausted, I'll go over that layer of concealer with an illuminating concealer (Maybelline's works alright) to make the area look a little brighter. When you're done concealing, set with a fluffy brush and powder.
I used this technique in this picture from the formal, and it really made a difference! I had a 100 degree fever, and I looked fully rested! Thanks, Preparation H! Ha, never thought I'd say that...

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment