Sunday, July 15, 2012

Fix Your Summer Hair Bummer

Like most girls, and some guys, too, I really hate managing my hair in humid weather. I've fought with my curly, rebellious mane for ten years, and have finally found some tricks that really work for summertime hair hangups.
Um, let's hope this was on purpose....
Problem: My hair is dry and frizzy
Solutions:
1. Olive Oil.
When used correctly, olive oil can make fried hair look healthy again. Too much, and it'll weigh you down. I like to leave it in wet hair for 20 minutes once every two weeks before I shampoo, and rub a dime-sized dab onto the driest parts on my hair to prevent further damage before I style my hair.
2. Argan Oil
I use Moroccan Oil before I style my hair to protect it from heat damage, smooth frizz, and nourish the cuticle.
3. Put down the blow drier.
Summer is all about letting your locks do their thing. Rock what your mamma gave ya! If you need something to help keep it in check, try making your own beach spray, or put damp hair in a high sock bun or braids overnight.
4. Rinse your hair with cold water.
It helps smooth the cuticle, making your hair look healthier. A cold rinse is also good for your skin!
5. Use a thick, creamy conditioner,
And leave it in for several minutes before rinsing.
6. Don't shampoo every day.
For most people, shampooing 2 to 3 times a week is more than enough.

Problem: Dull Hair
Solutions:
1.Baking Soda
I read about using baking soda to clean your hair here, and decided to put my own spin on it. Once a week, I'll mix baking soda with my regular shampoo, and scrub my scalp really well. It gets rid of any excess oil and product gunk I had lingering on my hair, making it smooth and shiny again! You can also add baking soda to a cream face cleanser for the best face scrub you've ever tried, for pennies to boot!
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
I know it smells horrendous, but rinsing your hair with vinegar helps get rid of buildup that makes hair dull. Random note: ACV can also help treat athlete's foot when used as a 20-minute foot soak.

Problem: I want sun-kissed waves!
Solution:
1. Lemons
Squeeze some lemon juice onto your hair and go out in the sun for 30 minutes. Lemon juice also makes a great natural brightening toner! Just make sure you dilute it before you put it on your face.
2. At Home Bleaching Mixes
These two recipes will get your hair golden in no time. If you have frizzy or curly hair, I suggest sticking with the olive oil and lemon juice mixture, since it won't be so hard on your hair.
3. A mixture of lemon juice and chamomile tea
combed through brown hair before going out in the sun helps bring out its golden tones.

Are there any other tips you've tried? Let me know below!


Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment