Monday, February 25, 2013

Garlic Ginger Spaghetti Squash Stir Fry

I've recently started a love affair with spaghetti squash. It's filling, low-calorie, nutritious, and low carb! Since it was only 74 cents per pound at my grocery store, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to do some experimenting.
 I have a stir fry obsession, so I wanted to substitute this for lo mein. I was pretty skeptical about how it would turn out, but it was great! The squash really soaked up the sauce, and made for a delightfully crisp stir fry.
Spaghetti squash is only 42 calories per cup. It also has 0g fat, 2g fiber, 1g protein, and 10g carbs. What a great noodle substitute!

According to my calculations, it was probably around 170 calories for two cups of stir fry, including the sauce and oil. I didn't add any meat to this dish, but it would be delicious with some pork or chicken!

This recipe makes enough for 1/2 a spaghetti squash, and only takes 15 to 20 minutes to make.

For the veggies:
- 1/2 cooked spaghetti squash
- 8oz frozen stir fry veggies
-1 tbs oil

For the sauce:
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- 2 tbs soy sauce (use reduced sodium if you're watching your salt intake)
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Mix the following ingredients well together until they form milk chocolate-colored liquid. The cornstarch will thicken the sauce once it's heated.

Directions:
I used a fork to mix the ingredients better.
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add your frozen veggies and cook until hot. Meanwhile, cut slits into your spaghetti squash, put on a plate, and microwave for 8-9 minutes, or until soft and steaming from the slits. Cut in half, and save one half for later (or double the recipe). Carefully scoop out the seeds, then scrape out the squash with a fork (be very careful! It's hot!!). Add the squash to the stir fry veggies, and mix with the sauce over medium-low heat until the sauce is thickened and everything is hot. If you want some extra fun, scoop the stir fry back into the empty squash, and have a stir fry boat!
There you have it! Cheap, filling, and delicious! Let me know how you like it!

The final product. MMMMMMM



Pinterest
Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. That looks fantastic! I think this is going to be more perfect if I add some beef on this recipe. I will definitely try this one. Thanks for sharing!

    Easy Stir Fry

    ReplyDelete